Monday, November 25, 2013

out with the old and in with the...still old- but new for us!


After five (nearly) years of marriage, two college degrees, three apartments, multiple jobs, and two children who've grown into full flegded toddler-dom we are finally moving into a house. Hallelujah.

As previously mentioned, we'll be in the house by January- but we're actually moving our stuff in the week before Christmas. And the two weeks before that are two Christmas events that I'm involved in (one for the stake and the other for our ward). It's going to be a busy month but I'm grateful for those two events because it will be the only kind of "holiday exposure" I'll get since 1. I won't be putting up Christmas decorations and 2. We probably won't even get a tree.... :( I still can't get over that one.

For the last few months, we knew we needed to move and considered all the options. We looked at bigger apartments and they were all unappealing or out of our price range. We toured a duplex that we almost caved into but the utilities cost a fortune and something seemed sketchy. We looked at town homes and nothing came up that we could see ourselves living in. Lastly, we looked into buying a house and were quickly overwhelmed. I even contacted special programs for first-time buyers and the out-of-pocket expenses were just not realistic for us. Someday I would love to buy a home, but only when we are financially prepared and know what we're getting ourselves into. When I searched for houses for rent, everything was just way too expensive. We live in a very pricey area...it's gorgeous here, but the cost of housing is out of this world. I came to be at the the point of not caring anymore...and telling Jonathan that we would live in our two bedroom apartment forever even if we are miserable. haha...

One night was particularly rough. I don't quite remember the details but the kids were crying and moody and keeping each other awake. We were helpless and there was nothing to be done... and we stayed up until 4 am waiting for them to go to sleep.
I told Jonathan right then: "That's it. We're moving." So we sat on the couch in the wee hours of the morning and looked at housing on craigslist. This wasn't the first time we'd done this....in fact, I requested info from several ads and every single one turned out to be a scam. But back to craigslist we went, desperate for change.

I could find nothing, and I'm pretty sure my husband and I both shed tears that night. It was brutal.

The next morning, as if by destiny, I had a Facebook message from a good friend here in Salem. She told me that she was moving back to Canada and that their house was up for grabs to good renters. She knew that I wanted to move and asked me if I'd like for her to give our names to her landlord. I nearly dropped my jaw as I read her message...and then I cried softly into my hands. I knew that Heavenly Father was aware of our family's needs. Her message had come at the perfect time, just when I was at my last straw.

We waited about a month and a half before she gave her 30 days notice and mentioned us to said landlord. The landlady, Theresa, was super nice and excited that we were interested in renting her home. She took us on a tour of the house (even though I'd been there before to visit my friend) and it all became a reality. We are gonna move! At last...

There are a few things about the house that I'm particularly excited for. The yard for one, as we've never had our own yard before. It's fenced all the way around and we're allowed to do whatever we want with it. I have a few ideas already :) Having a garage will also be nice- finally somewhere we can shove all our extra crap into! Behind the house there is lots of forest (and a Christmas tree farm) so its very serene, but still within walking distance to Winco, a natural foods store, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, and other shopping. The best part, though, is that our kids will be in their own rooms. I am sooo looking forward to this :] Like.. A LOT.

No, the house is not huge. No, it wasn't built in the last 25 years. But it is perfect for us right now, and I'm eager to make it into a home where we will be comfortable and happy :) According to my husband, it's what I'm good at! I've always loved this quote from one of my favorite bloggers:

We certainly have acquired a lot of hand-me-down and homemade things in the last five years. It will be such a new experience to put it all into an actual house. I can't hardly wait!


December will be SO INSANE, but I'm ready for it. I think.


2 comments:

Myrna said...

Congratulations on finding a house! What a blessing!

Ashley Wright said...

Yes! I'm so excited for you guys!