Wednesday, May 14, 2014

April-May catch up: part 1

Yikes. I have soooo much to catch up on. This is gonna be a long one, folks. I should start with the wedding we attended in April.


April 19th- Jonathan's little sister Cressa got married on a gorgeous, sunny, springtime day at the Portland, Or temple. She looked beautiful and so happy, and I couldn't help but remember our own wedding day. The weather wasn't at all comparable but the feelings of pure happiness were the same. Cressa was extra happy, because the man she was sealed to lived in London for the majority of their year-long engagement. They had only seen each other a few times, maintaining a long distance relationship. I don't know if I could have done it- but those two were extremely patient waiting for the paperwork to be done so he could come live in the US. We were all happy to see them together and married at last :)
that's our baby niece Emma on the right

The Dennett five! All brothers and dad together :) 
blushing bride Cressa

That night we went to the Chinook Winds Casino for their buffet (it was seafood night! Yum). I had about four plates of crab legs and they were some of the best crab legs I've had. All the family stayed in Lincoln City in a rented beach house, but we had to drive home for the night because Talmage had soccer practice the next morning. We went back and forth on whether it was the right choice to go home that night or not, but it all worked out perfectly. We had a family Easter in the morning and did an egg hunt with the kids, did the soccer thing, and then rushed back to the coast to be with family.

Thankfully we only live about an hour and a half away from the coast so it wasn't a big deal. (Now that we have a minivan, too, long drives are so much more enjoyable!)

When we got to the beach house, the sun was out and Jonathan and I decided to take a stroll on the beach. BAD IDEA. We saw the clouds rolling in but dismissed it, and within minutes we were running along the beach with rain pounding heavily on our backs. And the wind was freezing. It was very hard to run on the sand so we went up the hill to the street and ran down the street instead..haha. It was kind of funny later, but we were soooo cold. Of course later that evening the sun came out again and it was gorgeous. Over the weekend we had a few more opportunities to take walks on the beach and find shells.

Okay, I have to tell the story behind the picture on the right (the one where C's mouth is gaping open and her expression says "Whaaaaaa......")

So Talmage and Jonathan were chasing waves as Charlotte and I watched from the "safety zone". As I was snapping pictures, C noticed a humongous wave coming at us. Behind me, of course, so I had no idea. I distantly heard Jonathan shouting something but couldn't make out what exactly. So, I took a few more pics. These ones.

^That was the last one I took. I noticed it through my camera lens. The wave that you see in the picture was rapidly growing bigger and more powerful. Charlotte ran out to the boys to warn them or something, I'm not sure why she did that. But as soon as I took this pic I knew we weren't safe.

As the boys ran closer to us, I heard J say "GET CHARLOTTE! RUN!" I noticed the wave getting bigger and bigger, and closer to where we stood. No wave had come so close to us. But, alas, it was high tide and these waves were not kidding around. I grabbed C's hand and we started dashing away, but the wave was faster. As I felt my legs getting drenched I knew C's little legs wouldn't outrun it. My camera hung around my neck and I knew it would be ruined if I didn't hold it up above my head, so with one had I held it high and with my other I swooped up Charlotte in my arm and held her sideways- all the while running as fast as my pregnant self could. (I'm not huge preggo, but running is pretty uncomfortable regardless).

We were safe, thank goodness, but soaking wet from chests to toes. Talmage was laughing hysterically throughout the whole thing, Charlotte was sobbing woefully. I was shaking and in dis-belief. Jonathan sort of shrugged it off but I knew he was scared of what could have just happened had we not outrun the wave. A few seconds slower and we would have been swept up completely. I'm sure that J and I would have been okay but the terrifies me to think about it. I told Jonathan I was never letting the kids get that close to the water again (more on this in the next post).

My camera had some issues after that, but eventually it was working again and none of my pictures were lost. Huge blessing!!!

The house itself was pretty fun, too. Our room downstairs had big beautiful windows and a great big bed, along with a twin bed for Charlotte. Talmage slept upstairs in this cubby that was meant to look like a submarine, but with a bed inside. The house was very nautical-themed, and there was a hot tub too! Aside from our family of four, all of Jonathan's three brothers were there and one sister-in-law and her parents. Rod and Cressa stayed in a separate cottage right beside the house. It was a great setup, though the stairs in the house were really narrow and slippery. Charlotte slipped on them once, biting her tongue and scraping her chin really bad. She gushed with blood for a few minutes, , and it was seriously scary for me. A month later, her chin is still not completely healed and I've also noticed that one of her front teeth got chipped. Poor sweet babe :(

Over the weekend, we did lots of fun things in Lincoln City but I especially liked walking up and down main street and going into all the cute little shops. Of course, being so near the waves was the best part. And all the food we made at the house was awesome, too. We love Lincoln City so much and I can't wait to go back this summer!

We did come home a little earlier than planned because our kids were both super grumpy. Too much fun in a short amount of time does that...of course as soon as we got home they were back to their sweet, chipper selves.


On Easter Sunday, we were still on the coast with the family. I took some pictures of the kids in their Sunday best and we found a ward there to attend. After church the kids had yet another egg hunt with eggs that Grandma brought. She put money in half of them and it was a HUGE hit. I never thought the kids would care about that, haha. After the kids had naps we walked to this great garden filled with walkways and flowers. It was a lovely, beautiful day and I loved that we could spend it with so much family.

(Fancy Easter pics are already in a few posts back, but here are the others from that day.)

Getting snuggles with "Graw-graw"

Yep, we used grocery sacks. That's how we roll sometimes. 


No comments: