Friday, January 20, 2012

homemade mobile

I saw a few homemade mobiles on Pinterest the other night, and I decided that I wanted to make one right that second. As most of you know I am not a patient person and when I get a project in my head I have a hard time pushing it out...it's kind of bad. Anyway, turns out I had most of the materials I needed on hand! (I had to buy ribbon later but that was it)

Since baby girl's corner has a sort of "things with wings" feel to it I decided to do a mobile of butterflies.

 The online Silhouette shop had some super cute 3D butterfly cutouts for 99 cents each, so I bought all four :) I used scrap paper left over from the owl frames and it took me about 15 minutes to get the butterflies cut. I also happened to have an embroidery hoop, so I painted it pink and wallah!

I tried to make the light pink, blue, and brown show from the top and the brighter colors show from the bottom for baby. Of course it didn't really work out...haha...the butterflies did their own thing, but it still turned out.
The view from the bottom (baby's view)
I started this project at 10 pm and finished at midnight...needless to say Jonathan thought I was NUTS for jumping on it so quickly and he only slightly muttered under his breath as I made him tie the butterflies together with fishing line. What a great husband to put up with all my crafty habits! :D


I was pleasantly surprised at the sweet little butterfly shadows on the wall when we turned off the light. I hope our daughter likes them too!

2 comments:

Emily said...

that is so cute!! you are so crafty, I am so jealous! :)

Mimi said...

Oh my goodness! That is beautiful! I love how crafty you are, Lindsey. I wish my girls were still little enough to appreciate mobiles, I may need to have you teach me how to make one anyways!

Also, I can't believe you'll have your baby by the time I'm back!!!!! After that, you need to let me know anytime you need Talmage to go have a playdate with my girls so you can get some rest.