Monday, August 11, 2014

just keep swimming...

 I have a few friends in our old ward that talked me into signing up Talmage for swim lessons this summer :) It went for two weeks- EVERY morning- for about an hour each day overall (from the time we arrived till we were changed into dry clothes to leave). It was madness. Here is why:

One- I sprained my ankle the night before his first day of swim. It was a terrible, excruciating sprain that put my ankle in bandages and a boot and I relied solely on crutches to get around. Packing up two wild children into the van each day and across a parking lot into a wet, slippery pool area where I needed to watch their every move was not ideal for me at the time. Since I was in so much pain the first day, Jonathan took off work to help me out. So day 1 wasn't too bad...just slow.

I ended up leaving my crutches at home each time after that, because with the bag/towels/floatie I had to carry it just wasn't happening. I hobbled around the pool for the rest of that week and as SOON as we were home put both feet up, iced them, rubbed them, and stayed on the couch for the rest of the day. haha.

The next week was much better being up on my feet- I think there was some divine intervention that allowed my sprain to heal faster than expected. It still has not healed completely- my calf is bruised and tender and the muscles are tense- but I can walk around SO much better. I can't even say how thankful I am for this tender mercy.

Two- it became difficult to keep my eye on both kids the whole time. Talmage needed constant attention because he would not listen to his teacher when she said "stay on the steps". This both worried and frustrated me....I hate to be "that mom" whose kid won't listen to anything, but with Talmage I find myself in this situation a lot lately. He just gets so excited and sometimes I think he literally tunes everyone out. He also had fluid in one of his ears a few months back and that led to some temporary hearing loss, which I'm not sure he still has or not. Bottom line- he is a handful. I know it, his swim teacher knows it, his Primary teachers know it....and it gets really stressful at times.

Three- it is just plain out HARD to be up and ready for the day at 10 am for two weeks in a row. When I was single and working two jobs, I used to get up at 5 and it was no big deal. But having gotten used to my "mommy schedule", it's much more of a challenge to be showered, dressed, made up, packed up, fed, and have all the same things for the kids done before we go. I don't mean to complain- but it's a fact that it wasn't what we were used to.

Anyways! Talmage LOVED swim lessons and I really am soooo glad we did it :) He learned so much and is such a confident little swimmer now...except I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I am so paranoid when it comes to water safety and he pretty much thinks he's Superman and can do anything... so we're going to have to keep a close eye on that boy... but, I'm happy that he loves the water!

He learned "rocket arms", how to float on his back and tummy, leg kicks, how to hold his breath underwater, and a few other things. His favorite part was jumping off the diving board, of course!

I couldn't resist taking a few videos :) 

It makes me so happy to see him so happy :) He is such a fun little dude and I love him to pieces!

Charlotte, meanwhile, spent her days in the kiddie pool and eating snacks on the sidelines. She loved to cheer on Talmage and soak in the sun with mommy. For the first week she wouldn't even touch the water unless she had her safety net "floatie". But then something clicked and she refused it. She's definitely gotten more brave in the water and especially around bigger kids who splash obnoxiously with no respect towards little ones (minor pet peeve of mine...).

I really am glad we decided to sign him up. Annoyances aside, it did us all good to be more active and outside each day. It brought the kids and I closer together and I know they'll have fond memories of the pool. This is why I do so many things with create GOOD memories so that the not-so-good stuff won't matter as much. And so that they know I do care about their needs and desires. Life can be so stinking hard sometimes and we need to get out OFTEN to escape the stress. I need it and they need it.

At the end of the two weeks, we were all a little more tan and super exhausted. Today is our first day at home with NO obligations to go anywhere and we are taking full advantage of that. I haven't showered and I don't plan to. It is awesome.

1 comment:

Westensee Family said...

Haha. I love how honest you are linds. Really. You say it as it is. Love that!! Very cute/ fun post.