Thursday, May 10, 2012

the truth

I was talking to one of my best friends on the phone the other day, and she told me that the reason she stopped blogging was because she got tired of reading people's "pretend" blogs. You know...where they pretend that everything in their life is perfect and that they are perfect and their blog was basically just a grounds for bragging. I could definitely see her point, because it annoys me too. But then I got to thinking...do people think my blog is like that?

So here I am declaring, in all truth, that our life is NOT perfect. We have lots of trials and sometimes I completely lose my cool about it all. I know life isn't perfect for anyone, despite how they make it out to be. Just to prove my point, here are some things that really bite :)

1. Having two kids is HARD. really, really hard.
2. We currently have no income.
3. Our apartment is not a house. I want a house.
4. We have one car, so I never get to take myself or the kids anywhere.
5. I weigh more right now than I ever have in my whole life.

Of course that's not all of it, but you get the picture (hopefully). Now let me turn the tables a bit.

Even though there are both good and bad things that go on, I see it like this. If I focus on the good things and write about those, I will be happier. Sometimes I do use this blog to rant, and it makes me feel great! But most the time, this is my happy journal that records how our family has been blessed. Someday I want to get it published, so our kids can see all the fun things we did together. I don't want them thinking that I was sour all the time, and that is why I don't write EVERYTHING on here.

Jonathan tells me that the mental patients at the hospital where he works keep optimism journals to feel good about themselves. I think that's what this is for me, because I need more optimism in my life. I need to remember what I am grateful for. I don't pretend, I just leave some of the less-optimistic stuff out.

So in the spirit of optimism, here are my sweet children whom I love VERY much! They make the bad stuff not so bad, and the good stuff sweeter.

I am not perfect, but I'm happy...

and that's the truth :)

2 comments:

The Garlands said...

So agree! I'd rather think about the positive stuff and write about it then the negative things. Life has it's ups and downs but who wants to hear about everyone's down times. :) P.S your kids are adorable!

Unknown said...

So lately I was thinking the same thing as your friend that some people make there lives out to be so easy and there children are perfect and nothing bothers them. But your blog is so refreshing because you are so real about life and I actually get much strength and comfort from your blog because I don't feel alone on some of the hardships in being a mommy and wife. Love you Linds!!!