Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Binky-Be-Gone parts 1 & 2

Day 1 of Binky-Be-Gone was yesterday. I wasn't sure how T would take it...I figured he would be excited mixed with confusion and sadness. We went to the store the night before and I let him pick out five balloons. (Again, none of this was MY original process- I basically copied it all from someone else because I loved exactly how she did it with her son!) The next day, after C fell asleep, T and I walked through the field in the back of our house. I had tied four of the balloon strings to his binky (he got to keep one balloon for himself). I told him to hold tight to his binky and let go when he was ready. He seemed really excited and that was a huge relief.

...until he realized that once he let go, his binky (and balloons) would be gone forever. I told him that they would fly far away to another baby somewhere.

 He got one last good look at his beloved binky...

and let go.

If you squint, you can see the binky. The wind was blowing and it went up super fast!
That's when the real, genuine, deep sadness hit him. It broke my heart a little to see his eyes fill up with tears as he peered into the sky.

He looked down at the ground for a few awful seconds. I hated myself.

 And then he says this: "But MOM! The baby in Africa is gonna get my binky!"

'Africa?' I thought. 'Who said anything about Africa?' But it was making him feel better so I went with it! I took these pictures as he was sorting this theory out...

and then- he was content and all was well :)

He began to walk away from me, then running...exclaiming "Mom! Let's go to AFRICA!"

My heart grew five sizes in that moment with love for this dude. He is such a natural optimistic. I learn from his example in more ways than I can count. I was super proud.

Day 2 was today. I sat on the couch with Talmage as he played on my phone, then gasped dramatically and said "Did you HEAR that?? Someone is in your room!"

He rushed down the hallway into his room, smacked his hands on the window and searched for the culprit.

I tried to divert his attention to what was laying on the floor right beside him. He didn't see it for a while...I was trying so hard not to laugh.

 Eventually he caught on. Oh Talmage...

The Binky Fairy had left another note! And a prize that he could trade for a binky.

She asked him to please recycle the binky into this envelope in exchange for the cool sword and candy. He was more than willing. Today was a huge hit! And no tears, thank goodness...

I'm excited for the next three days, and I think T is understanding pretty well that he doesn't get his binkies back once he decides to get rid of them. I've got three more sitting on the counter, and he has been noticing the pile getting smaller. Also, this whole process has cost very little. All that I've paid for has been from the dollar store. The last day is a little bit more pricey, but its also the one that I am most excited for! A huge thanks once again to my sister-in-law for encouraging me to do this :)

I will admit that he has stolen a binky off the counter a few times and stashed it in his bed, but I let him give it back to me and we talk about it. He knows he doesn't need it, and I'm not even sure that he's putting it in his mouth. Actually, who am I kidding...of course he is :(

I hope he doesn't totally lose it when the next three days are over.


jjudkins said...

Wow! That's a lot of work to get rid of binkies. You are very patient and he is too! Can't wait to see what happens next....

Anonymous said...

Best of luck - you have the cutest son! - Allison